The Risks of Neglecting to Update Old, Damaged, and Outdated Wiring

Can the old wiring start a fire in this house? is a frequently asked question when we inspect older Baltimore homes. Electrical fires are always a concern when it comes to old wiring and outdated electrical systems. Little is worse to imagine that a fire breaking out in your home.

It’s absolutely crucial to have electrical wiring in your home that can handle the surge required to power everything from your big-screen television to your children’s computers. If you neglect to replace your old, damaged, and outdated wiring, you could put yourself at risk of countless problems, including:

Fire

Faulty wiring is the leading cause of residential fires in America, according to the National Fire Prevention Association. Take special note if your home was built in the 1970s or earlier. Homes in that time period sometimes included aluminum wiring as opposed to standard copper. Aluminum is considered too fragile to use for wiring by today’s standards, as its connection point can loosen up over time and expose the wires. These wires are very hot, and can easily trigger a blaze if they come in contact with wood or other flammable materials.

Frequent Power Losses

Damaged and old electrical wires cannot deliver the energy required to power all the electronics in your home. If your system senses that the wires in your house are struggling to keep everything powered up, it will simply shut itself down to avoid fire risks from overheating wires. When this happens, your electronics could incur damage and you could lose unsaved data.

Rejected Insurance Coverage

Outdated wiring poses a huge safety hazard to homes, and insurance agencies know it. Many owners of older homes have reported difficulty in securing homeowner’s insurance after their providers find out that their homes contain outdated electrical wiring. In those cases, a full replacement of the wiring is usually required before the provider will even think about approving the insurance.

For your own safety, call a residential electrician for a comprehensive electrical inspection and keep an eye out for these red flags:

● Flickering lights

● Discolored, charred, or sparking outlets

● Repeated tripped breakers or blown fuses

● Damaged wiring or receptacles

● Deteriorated in-wall insulation

Call an electrician if you notice any sign of an electrical problem, such as lights blinking, appliances that work irregularly, breakers that keep tripping, or a burning smell of a short circuit. The only way to know for sure that your wiring is not a liability is to have it inspected and evaluated by your local Baltimore electrician. With over 17 years of fast, friendly service under our belts, our electricians are available to inspect, service, and replace your wiring anywhere in the Baltimore Area. Call (443) 247-3666 or visit our website for more information.